Lesley Hiscox M.A is a Registered & Accredited Member of the British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy.
My initial training was as an occupational therapist. my clinical work was primarily in mental health and i worked in a wide cross section of services in London, the Midlands and Lincolnshire/Humberside this gave me a good basis on which to develop my counselling practice.
So, since leaving the NHS I have worked as a counsellor within a variety of settings; Community Mental Health Teams (CMHTs); General Practice: Non-Statutory services: Voluntary Organisations: for Employment Assistance Programmes (EAPs): as an Associate Counsellor at a University and I had a private practice for 10 years.
The majority of my work has been with Adults, but I spent 5yrs, on a part-time basis, working with children and young people who had suffered “Significant harm”.
I have primarily offered face-to-face counselling. However, due to the current situation, I have completed the BACP/Open university’s “How to do counselling on-line- a coronavirus primer” and can now offer telephone and on-line counselling and supervision.
Professional & General Management
Having worked extensively in the NHS for many years, I was promoted through the various Occupational Therapy clinical and managerial grades to become professional manager of all the O.T services in, what was, a Health District.
At that time I also represented Yorkshire on the national Council of the British Association of Occupational Therapists
As the result of a Trust restructuring, I took on a General Management role and had responsivity for all the Trust’s services in Primary Care.
This was during the time of GP “Fund Holding” and involved liaising closely with Practices and in contracting for the Trust’s Community Nursing services. A challenging role!
At the next Trust restructuring/merger I took early retirement! I established and built my own Counselling practice. This grew and functioned successfully for 10 years.
Model of working:
Initially I trained in a Person Centred Approach to counselling and this would still be my preferred way of working. However, my Counselling Diploma is in Integrative Counselling. I studied Egan’s Three Stage Model and tend to use my Person Centred Approach within that structure. My Supervision course covered a wide range of different supervision models.
However I have done a lot of work with people struggling with a range of Eating Disorders and find a Behavioural Approach can be very effective when working with these particular problems.
When the opportunity arises I enjoy working creatively and use my Drama Therapy and Art Therapy skills together with some Sand Tray work.
Qualifications, Training & relevant Experience:
- Master Degree in Counselling (Leeds University)
- Advanced Specialist Diploma in Supervision (Heartwood – Dartington Devon)
- Graduate Diploma in Counselling ( University College of York St. John)
- Post professional Diploma in Drama Therapy ( College of Ripon & York St John)
- Diploma College of Occupational Therapists (London)
- Certificate of Person Centred Art Therapy (ABC Newark)
- Master Practitioner Eating Disorders & Obesity (National Centre for Eating Disorders)
I’ve also completed training and worked as:
- Family Mediator (UK College of Family Mediators)
- Victim Support Volunteer
- Care Act Advocate (part of a City & Guilds level 2)
- Mental Health First Aider ( MHFA England)
- As a Justice of the Peace
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Over the past FEW of years I have attended a wide variety of workshops including :-
- Working with Trans-identified and Trans-historied clients in your own practice (BACP)
- Complications of Bereavement: causes, Management and wider Implications (Colin Murray Parkes)
- Risk Assessment (Plymouth University)
- Introduction to working with Trauma (Heartwood Dartington)
- Working with clients who have experienced Sexual Abuse (Heartwood Dartington)
- An introduction to Sand tray (Heartwood Dartington)
- Drug & Alcohol Awareness training (Plymouth university)
- Suicide & Suicidal Ideation (BACP)
- Asist – Applied suicide intervention skills training (Livingworks)
- Adult safeguarding (Plymouth Safeguarding Board)
- I have full Professional Indemnity Insurance
- I hold an Advanced DBS check
- I am an older person.