Lesley Hiscox M.A is a Registered & Accredited Member of the British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy.
My initial training was as an Occupational Therapist. My clinical work was primarily in Mental Health and I worked in a wide cross section of services in London, the Midlands and Lincolnshire/Humberside.
Since leaving the NHS I have worked as a counsellor within a variety of settings; Community Mental Health Teams (CMHTs); General Practice: Non-Statutory services: Voluntary Organisations: for Employment Assistance Programmes (EAPs): as an Associate Counsellor at a University and I had a private practice for 10 years.
The majority of my work has been with Adults, but I spent 5yrs, on a part-time basis, working with children and young people who had suffered “Significant harm”.
I have primarily offered face-to-face counselling. I do not have experience of telephone or on-line counselling.
Professional & General Management
Having worked extensively in the NHS for many years, I was promoted through the various Occupational Therapy clinical and managerial grades to become professional manager of all the O.T services in, what was, a Health District.
At that time I also represented Yorkshire on the national Council of the British Association of Occupational Therapists
As the result of a Trust restructuring, I took on a General Management role and had responsivity for all the Trust’s services in Primary Care.
This was during the time of GP “Fund Holding” and involved liaising closely with Practices and in contracting for the Trust’s Community Nursing services. A challenging role!
At the next Trust restructuring/merger I took early retirement! I established and built my own Counselling practice. This grew and functioned successfully for 10 years.
Model of working:
Initially I trained in a Person Centred Approach to counselling and this would still be my preferred way of working. However, my Counselling Diploma is in Integrative Counselling. I studied Egan’s Three Stage Model and tend to use my Person Centred Approach within that structure. My Supervision course covered a wide range of different supervision models.
However I have done a lot of work with people struggling with a range of Eating Disorders and find a Behavioural Approach can be very effective when working with these particular problems.
When the opportunity arises I enjoy working creatively and use my Drama Therapy, Art Therapy skills and some Sand Tray work.
Qualifications, Training & relevant Experience:
- Masters Degree in Counselling (Leeds)
- Advanced Specialist Diploma in Supervision (Heartwood – Dartington, Devon)
- Graduate Diploma in Counselling (University College of York St. John)
- Post Professional Diploma in Drama Therapy (College of Ripon & York St. John)
- Diploma College of Occupational Therapists (London)
- Certificate in Person Centred Art Therapy ( ABC Newark)
- Master Practitioner Eating Disorders & Obesity (National Centre for Eating Disorders)
I’ve also completed training as:
- Family Mediator (UK College of Family Mediators)
- Victim Support Volunteer
- Care Act Advocate (part of a City & Guilds level 2)
- Mental Health First Aider ( MHFA England)
- As a Justice of the Peace
- Completed an e-learning course on GDPR and information Security facilitated by Plymouth University
- IMC Approved Supervisors Network Consultancy
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) attended workshops:
- “Working with Trans-identified and Trans-historied clients in your own practice” (BACP)
- ‘Complications of Bereavement: Causes, Management and wider implications (Colin Murray-Parkes)
- Risk Assessment (Plymouth university)
- Introduction to working with trauma (Heartwood. Dartington)
- Working with clients who have experienced Sexual Abuse (Heartwood Dartington)
- An introduction to Sandtray Therapy (Heartwood Dartington )
- Drug & Alcohol Awareness Training (Plymouth University)
- Suicide & Suicidal Ideation (BACP)
- Adult Mental Health First Aid (MHFA)
- Therapeutic Energy Methods Workshop (Crucible Training)
- Adult Safeguarding (Plymouth Adult Safeguarding Adults Board)
- Applied Suicide Intervention skills training (ASIST)
- Looking at Challenge (Plymouth University)
- I have full Professional Indemnity Insurance
- I hold an Advanced DBS check
- I am an older person.